Thank you guys for indulging me so much in my fashion capsule project this year. Today I wanted to reveal my Winter fashion capsule wardrobe that I will be wearing the next three months and hopefully inspire you to create a capsule wardrobe of your own. This capsule launches on November 22nd for me, but I wanted to share it with you early in hopes that some of these items might inspire you. As always, follow me on Instagram and check our It’s the 3 Little Things to see the outfits I create with these items.
After doing a little research this time around and feeling like even though I had minimized my wardrobe A LOT, I still felt like I could minimize a bit more. Here are last month’s rules I created if that works better for you. In all honesty, this is about minimizing so follow rules that fit well with you and consider stages like I am doing. This time I am doing a modified Project 333 project similar to what I did last month. Here are the rules I am following this month.
What Is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing which is designed using only interchangeable items, in order to maximise the number of outfits which can be created. The aim is to have an outfit suitable for any occasion without owning excessive items of clothing. This is usually achieved by buying what are considered to be “key” or “staple” items in coordinating colours.
This project was inspired by Project 333 & the Unfancy fashion capsule challenge, but I am making a few of my own rules for my own personal challenge.
33 Piece Wardrobe- The wardrobe can have 33 pieces in it. This wardrobe does not include pajamas, workout gear, undergarments, or camisoles (something that is a necessity for me). The capsule is made from items I already own, some purchased to be workhorses in my wardrobe (since I fail in this department greatly), and purchased second hand at Goodwill or through Twice. All of the items I am not wearing and still love are being tucked in storage for the next fashion capsule. I have created a Fashion Capsule Pinterest Board to help inspire me with the pieces I am using.
Choose 3 More for Rotating- You may choose three additional items and put them aside in your closet. You may rotate these items in during the next three months, but three other items have to rotated out. Consider donating those items.
No Shoe Shopping- I am not including my shoes for this challenge, but I am challenging myself to not buy any more shoes and use what I already have.
One Steal Per Month- Things and events come up and I am allowing myself one steal per month from items that I already own. I may find I don’t need this, but I think it might help with the shopping bug.
No Shopping For Clothing- I will wear the clothes I have selected and not shop for three months and only shop two weeks prior to the next capsule for items for the next season if needed. This is going to require a lot of discipline for me and I am planning to unsubscribe to shopping newsletters and avoid the shops as much as possible.
This month’s Project 333 Wardrobe is listed below. The ones with TWO asterisks are carrying over from my last capsule. To me, these are the best pieces to buy since they are making a reappearance! The ones with a single asterisk are still in route to my house. I will photograph them when they arrive!
1. J. Crew Emerald Green Blouse (owned- second-hand purchase)
2. Seamless Perfection Long Sleeve Tunic in Chocolate (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
** 3. Seamless Perfection Long Sleeve Tunic Dress in Black (owned- Flourish Boutique)
4. Seamless Perfection Long Sleeve Tunic in Gray (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
** 5. H&M Black & White Striped Top (owned- Goodwill)
6. White Mossimo Thermal T-Shirt (purchased- Target)
7. Flannel Shirt (purchased- Pitaya)
8. Amelia Jacket (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
** 9. Chambray Shirt (owned- Flourish Boutique)
10. J. Crew Red Plaid Tunic (purchased second-hand on Twice)
11. Brooklyn T-Shirt (purchased Urban Outfitters)
12. Camel Colored Cowl Tunic Top Sweatshirt (purchased Target)
13. Hunter Green Floral & Lace Hoodie (purchased- Marshall’s)
14. Rust Colored Bird Print Shirt (owned- Flourish Boutique)
15. ya Gray Wool Sweater Vest (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
16. Anthropologie Felted Sweater Coat (owned second-hand from Clothes Mentor)
17. Gray Faux Fur Vest (purchased- Target)
** 18. Old Navy Plaid Flannel Shirt (owned- Old Navy)
19. Gap Wool Blazer (owned- Gap)
20. Papillion Yellow Mustard Circle Dress (owned- Flourish Boutique)
21. Anthropologie Yellow Mustard Sweater (purchased second-hand on Twice)
22. Anthropologie Scarlet Swing Skirt (my splurge- Anthropologie)
23. Ruffles Have Ridges Top (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
24. J. Crew Khaki A-Line Skirt (purchased second-hand on Twice)
25. White House Black Market Knit Black Dress (purchased second-hand on Twice)
** 26. The Essential Leggings in Black (owned- Flourish Boutique)
27. The Essentials Leggings in Brown (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
28. Matilda Jane Willow Tree Rider Pants (purchase from Amanda Petit, Matilda Jane Independent Trunk Keeper)
29. Burgundy Knit Leggings (owned- Ann Taylor Loft)
** 30. Seven Skinny Jeans (owned- Flourish Boutique)
** 31. Old Navy Vintage V-Neck T-Shirt in Gray- (Old Navy)
*Houndstooth Puffer Vest J. Crew Knockoff (purchased- Groopdealz)
*Not pictured yet! Red Puffer Vest (purchased- Groopdealz)
Coupons That Might Help If You Are Making a Capsule Too
Current Coupons for Old Navy (I am a big fan of their jeans and basic t-shirts)
Current Coupons for Target (their wardrobe is on the smart minimalist side this season- yay!)
Current Coupons for Gap (blazers, chambray shirts, collared shirts, jeans- oh my!)
Get $10 for your first Twice purchase (this is my favorite online consignment resource)
Use web code WEB25 for 25% off your purchase at Flourish Boutique (this is our site sponsor and where I get the majority of my clothing). You can also catch a sale daily on the Flourish Boutique Facebook Page)
Stitch Fix can be a fun resource for shopping for smart basic wardrobe pieces if a stylist might benefit you! Be sure to note in your file EXACTLY what you are looking for when scheduling your fix.
Again, I won’t be daily documenting, but you can find me on Instagram sharing ideas and I showcase three ideas every Friday for you to try. I promise though to fully commit to this and I know this will be very good for me this year.
Creating the Perfect Fashion Capsule Wardrobe (That Really Works)
It’s the 3 Little Things (Three Outfits Posted EVERY WEEK in each entry- happy browsing!!)
Fall Fashion Capsule 2014
Would you like to do a challenge with me? Feel free to leave a comment below and let me know if you want to join in on the fun or if you are doing a similar challenge of your own!
*this post may contain affiliate links- I only recommend what I love though.