My new favorite drink at Starbucks is their Salted Caramel Mocha Latte. One sip of this delicious goodness had me daydreaming about how I could replicate this delicious salty caramel goodness at home. Coffee drinking is, after all, one of my favorite hobbies, but a girl has to do it on a budget. A DIY version of this Salted Caramel Mocha Latte was definitely in order.
I am no stranger to the sweet and salty combination. My Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Brownies may have made me a celebrity in very tiny circles of friends. I am also no stranger to replicating Starbucks treats. My homemade pumpkin spice latte has been shared over 1,500 times on Facebook (you guys are the best) and I am proud of all of my pinning glory that has happened thanks to my friends who have pinned it on Pinterest. These two things I am most proud of had to come together for this fun treat. Lattes are an easy creation to make at home and I put my French Press to work in the winter by creating the strong brewed coffee needed for a delicious latte at home. In the summer, my cold brewed coffees are made with this little gadget and over the years it has paid for itself over and over again.
One rainy day last week I decided to replicate my new favorite Starbucks treat. I sipped lattes, tested combinations, whipped, brewed, drizzled, sipped, whipped, brewed, drizzled, and sipped.
As I tried to hold my camera steady to take pictures of my coffee glory, I realized I had a horrible case of the shakes.
I also realized I may have overdone it with the sipping part of things. When I came to get my children at their bus stop still wearing my pajamas, with my rubber rain boots, bearing crazy caffeinated eyes, and shaky hands… I had to wonder what the bus driver thought of this crazy woman who hadn’t even brushed her hair that day.
I think it was all worth it though.
I hope you will think so too.
Save your $4 and make this little treat at home whenever you want. Just take my advice and try to do it in moderation.
- 1 cup milk, steamed
- 1 cup very strong coffee (4 tablespoons coffee grounds to 1 cup of hot water, prepared in a French Press)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel coffee syrup (I bought mine at our local superstore in the coffee aisle or you can pick them up at your wholesale club for cheap. I accidentally bought sugar-free and it worked like a charm. Feel free to use either variety and adjust to your taste)
- Whipped cream
- Caramel Sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- Prepare your hot water in a kettle. Add four tablespoons of your favorite coffee grounds to your French Press. Pour 1 cup of hot water over them and allow the coffee to steep for four minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a pot, heat up one cup of milk until it is steaming. Froth the milk with a wire whisk or an immersion blender until it is nice and foamy.
- In your coffee cup, mix together the prepared coffee, cocoa powder, sugar, and caramel coffee syrup until the sugar and cocoa powder are dissolved and there are no lumps. Pour the milk foam over the top of the coffee/mocha mixture and stir to incorporate. Top with whipped cream, a generous drizzle of caramel sauce, and your pinch of salt.
- Bask in your ability to make all good things at home.
- This is just a base recipe that can be played with to your own tastes and preferences. It is meant to be personalized depending on how you like your latte!