Get an early start on your Thanksgiving dinner with this easy freezer recipe for make-ahead mashed potatoes. This method worked perfectly to make creamy, delicious potatoes! You can even save your oven space and reheat in your crock pot.
Can you believe that is already time to start talking about prepping for Thanksgiving?
Lucky for you (and me), I have so many incredible make-ahead freezer dishes to share with you for the holiday.
This recipe for Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes has been a huge favorite of mine over the years.
These make-ahead mashed potatoes create the creamiest potatoes that freeze beautifully and warm up easily in the slow cooker.
My number one tip for holiday party and dinner preparation is to make as much ahead of time that you possibly can for your holiday feasts.
This mashed potato recipe is the perfect example of something that I used to stress about for the holidays and it is so nice to know that you can have these tucked away and ready to for the big day.
No need to take up space on your stove to reheat these, they heat beautifully in the slow cooker and can even be doubled for a big crowd.
Here are my dishes and recipes that I create in my kitchen now for holiday prep later.
These are all recipes that you can freeze or create before your big day that will be a huge time-saver for your holiday parties and meals.
I talk a lot about this in my book, “The Good Life For Less.” In fact, I have an entire chapter devoted towards saving money and making the holidays easier on your family.
Prep These Dishes Ahead
Mashed Potatoes (see recipe below)
With all of these dishes prepped in your freezer, party planning and meal preparation just got a whole lot easier.
It leaves your time free to focus on preparing your home and the main dish for your holiday meals.
Be sure to give these make-ahead mashed potatoes a spin for your holiday feasting.
I guarantee that these potatoes will go fast, are stress-free, and a huge crowd-pleaser!
Holiday Mashed Potatoes for a Crowd
Recipe Type: Side
Author: Amy Clark
Make these crowd-pleasing mashed potatoes before your holiday meal and freeze them until the big day. Reheat in your slow cooker to save space in your oven.
- 5 pounds of potatoes
- 1 block (8 oz) of low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk (or more if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Paprika (optional)
- Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes. Throw the potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and put them back into the hot pot. Add cream cheese, butter, milk, sour cream, and salt. Mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer to whip the potatoes.
- Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and label.
- On Your Holiday Day: Put potatoes in the fridge 1-2 days before to allow them to completely thaw. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and put potatoes in the slow cooker. Brush the top of the potatoes with a tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with paprika. Cook on low for two to four hours.
- Alternate cooking method- Bake the potatoes at 350 degrees for thirty to forty minutes or until completely hot.
What are some of your favorite make-ahead dishes for the holidays? Do you have any strategies for making holiday party planning easier?
Don’t miss these other great ideas from MomAdvice.com: