Try this easy sheet pan meal for your next family dinner! This herb baked tilapia & asparagus bakes in under 15 minutes!
I don’t know about you, but I can never get enough sheet pan meal recipes! Today I wanted to share one of our tried-and-true family favorites that I think you will love as much as I do. This herb baked tilapia sheet pan meal is gluten-free and can be prepared with a side of asparagus, all on one pan. This is an affordable meal that can serve a crowd and is simple enough that you could even get your kids in the kitchen to help you assemble these cheesy and crunchy toppings.
The preparation is pretty similar to my 5-Ingredient Salmon Sheet Pan recipe, but this time we will be preparing a crunchy gluten-free topping for the fish instead of a simple seasoning. If you don’t need to watch the gluten, you can substitute this ingredient with your favorite Panko or breadcrumb topping. After trying several brands of crunchy coating, this is my favorite recommendation, if you end up needing the gluten-free version (like me!).
I also recommend splurging for the fresh tilapia, if you can swing it, because the fish is typically thicker than the frozen variety. It helps the fish to retain its moisture, while it is baking, and is also a little more filling.
If you have teenagers, you know that filling these kids up is a full-time job! #mamaisbroke
If you are trying to stay under budget though, the frozen fish does well, but will just cook up a bit quicker in your oven!
Here is what the dish looks like when it is prepared on the sheet pan. I lined my pan with nonstick foil, to help make clean-up a little easier! Underneath that layer of herbs & panko, you will find a cheesy layer that is prepared with just cheese and mayo.
Have issues with mayo?
I bet you will get over it when you mix that with cheese.
I mean, it is CHEESE!
You can also use your own substitution for mayo that works for your diet plan.
I have heard great things about this one!
Although, I know you aren’t here for my TED talk on this recipe, I have a pretty funny story about this dish.
When I was working for Kenmore, they asked me to share some of my favorite family recipes and they had them all printed up on gorgeous recipe cards to hand out at the Chicago Baby Show. Not only did they want to hand them out, but they told me that they wanted these dishes prepared for the attendees so people could eat samples as they walked through the different booths.
When I read how many people normally attend the Chicago Baby Show, I started to get spicy armpits.
I pride myself on my ability to feed many people, but what was this going to look like feeding THOUSANDS.
Also, why exactly did that think I was capable to cater this event?
The weeks leading up to the event were agonizing, but I couldn’t tell them that I couldn’t possibly do this. Our family was on the struggle bus financially so I had to do my best with this incredible job that I had been tasked with.
When I showed up, I put on my apron and was ready to go, spicy armpits and all!
That’s when they told me that the food was being prepared by someone else and I was just supposed to hand out my recipe cards.
Moral of the story?
Get the specifics on your jobs before you agree to do them and get ready to fake it until you make it!
I hope you enjoyed my TED talk on this fabulous dish.
In the end, I would prepare it for you, but not for thousands.
I hope you can give this one a spin at your house and can’t wait to hear what you think!
Herb Baked Tilapia Sheet Pan Meal
Recipe Type: Main Course
Serves: 4-6 servings
Try this easy sheet pan meal for your next family dinner! This herb baked tilapia & asparagus bakes in under 15 minutes! If you are using a thicker cut of tilapia, you can double the topping for double the crunch!
- 4 (4 to 6 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup [url href=”https://amzn.to/2Ju9l38″ target=”_blank”]gluten-free panko crumbs[/url]
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 pound asparagus
- olive oil (for drizzingling on vegetables)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Adjust your oven rack to the second one from the top.
- Using a paper towel, blot the tilapia to soak up any moisture. Place tilapia on a sheet pan lined with nonstick foil.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese and mayonnaise. Spread evenly over fish.
- In another bowl, combine panko, Italian seasoning mix, salt, & pepper. Sprinkle over fish.
- Trim the asparagus ends. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt. Arrange the asparagus next to the tilapia.
- Bake 12-15 minutes
- Turn your broiler on high and finish with 2 minutes of broiling to get a pretty golden hue on your fish and to make sure the cheese coating is cooked all the way through. Make sure you keep an eye on it so your topping does not burn.
- Serve immediately with a little chopped parsley on top.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Here are a few of our favorites!
This post contains affiliate links! Thank you!