Today’s recipe is for a gluten-free orange chicken that will rival anything you get at your favorite Chinese restaurant, but can be prepared for your gluten-free lifestyle, made with less fat, and can be served over brown rice.
The best part is how inexpensive it is to prepare and how beautifully this dish reheats.
Each month I am challenged to use produce in a new way by a food client.
You may recall some of our past produce products: Blueberry Sangria Lemonade, my baked Strawberry Doughnuts, my easy dairy-free Peach Sorbet and our Slow Cooked Honey Crisp Apple Oatmeal…just to name a few!
I am finding gluten-free flours to be expensive.
While browsing the baking aisle though, I noticed that they did have a Betty Crocker Rice Flour that was just $3.38 for a pound.
I went ahead and got that to try for my chicken and it worked beautifully! You would have never noticed the difference in regular flour versus this flour.
I am excited to have that in our pantry now for these types of recipes.
Another fantastic budget-friendly substitute is cornstarch!
Of course, if you aren’t gluten-free (lucky ducks!), your standard all-purpose flour will work beautifully in this dish.
Made with freshly squeezed orange juice (approximately 3-4 oranges), this sauce is a burst of citrus that is balanced with the flavor of a little balsamic vinegar and sweetened with brown sugar.
You can use chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts to cube into 1″ cubes for your meat.
I browned these in batches and then added them all back into my cast iron skillet and poured the sauce on top, just cooking until the sauce was thickened and the chicken was cooked through.
Did I mention that this was a one pot dish? Winning!
If you have a rice cooker, you can enjoy some delicious brown rice on the side, for an easy and effortless side dish.
I doubled the recipe and my family could not stop eating it.
It is truly the best thing I have eaten since going gluten-free and it is a dish that will be repeated over and over in our house!
Be sure to add this to your menu planners this month- it won’t disappoint!
Make The Best Orange Chicken Recipe At Home
Gluten-Free Orange Chicken
Recipe Type: Main Dish
An easy gluten-free orange chicken recipe that you can prepare at home and that can be easily doubled for a quick weeknight meal!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins, cut into 1″ cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (I used rice flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (the juice from 3-4 navel oranges)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Cut the chicken into 1” cubes. Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and seasoning (if desired), then toss the chicken in the flour mixture. Cook in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, mix together orange juice, vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl. Pour over cooked chicken and simmer on low for five minutes. Serve over brown rice.