If there is one combination that I love, it is sweet and salty. These Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Brownies are the perfect combination of sweet & salty that will be a hit no matter where you serve them. I will admit, on their own, sweets hold little power over me. Sweet treats with a kick of salt? Well, be still my beating heart! This recipe for Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Brownies is destined to be my recipe legacy that I pass on to my children. When I pass away, my tombstone should read… “Beloved wife and mother. More beloved for her amazing brownies. Forever. And Ever. Amen.” Yes, these are legacy-making brownies, friends!
The key ingredients are really good chocolate and coarse salt. If you can’t find sea salt at your local market, kosher salt offers a great substitution. The rest of the ingredients involve all of the traditional brownie-making ingredients.
When you pull these delicious brownies out of the oven, the edges should be set (see above in this picture), but the center will still be a little bit soft and the toothpick will have a little batter on it. That is exactly what you want. Allow them to cool for one hour on the counter and then cover the top with a little plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour or even up to three days. You can then pull the foil and plastic wrap off and cut with a sharp knife into squares. For gift giving, you can package these sweet little treats in clear treat bags with a little ribbon from your craft supplies. I guarantee that anyone that receives these will feel all your love in them. These are fabulous treats to give to your girlfriends, your teachers, your sister, your babysitter, or anyone else that could use a little TLC. Imagine what a sweet surprise these would be for someone who might not get all the adoration they are so deserving of. Be sure to make a batch for yourself too, after all, you deserve a little bit of chocolate adoration too!
Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Brownies
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine
A deliciously rich combination of sweet and salty. These are legacy-making brownies and will make you famous. Seriously.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch square metal cake pan with foil, draping the foil over the edges. Lightly butter the foil or spray with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over very low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl begin whisking together the dry ingredients. In this bowl you will mix your dark cocoa, flour, and sugar. Once your dry ingredients are mixed together, we can begin incorporating the wet ingredients. Add your eggs and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix them in with a spatula or use your stand mixer to mix these. Once these are incorporated, you can slowly add in your cooled chocolate and then incorporate that into your batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over the batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the salt into the batter.
- Bake the brownies in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the edge is set but the center is still a bit soft and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out coated with a little of the batter.
- Let the brownies cool at room temperature in the pan for 1 hour, then refrigerate just until they are firm, about 1 hour.
- Lift the brownies from the pan and peel off the foil. Cut the brownies into 16 squares.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Side note: The salted fudge brownies can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, and frozen for up to 1 month.