If there is one flavor we love around here it is snickerdoodle. Today I wanted to share an easy recipe for a chocolate snickerdoodle cake that you will flip for. This chocolate snickerdoodle cake is coated in a delicious chocolate cream cheese frosting and adorned in a dusting of dark chocolate candy that adds that perfect finishing touch.
This week we celebrated my son’s 11th birthday. In lieu of an elaborate themed dinner and event, he had a sleepover with his best friend and we invited our family over for this cake and for a red, white, & blue trifle to celebrate.
I am the worst cake decorator known to man and produce some of the ugliest, most lopsided, and crumbiest looking cakes ever. I finally found the trick for me was to buy two 8″ Wilton pans (affiliate) (instead of those 9″ pans that produced flat layers for me) and a good spatula (affiliate). This cake was put together in an hour and the prettiest cake I’ve ever made (if I do say so myself!). It is amazing what a little investment in tools can produce.
As is tradition, the birthday kid gets to pick their cake from my cookbooks every year. When Ethan selected this cake, I just knew it would be a hit. This cake is moist, rich, and laced in cinnamon. What makes the cake really taste delightful though is the light cream cheese frosting that it is coated in.
Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cake
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Adapted from Chocolate from Cake Mix Doctor
A rich chocolate cake laced with that snickerdoodle cinnamon flavor that our family loves!
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For frosting: 1 package low-fat cream cheese (8 ounces), at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’s sugar
- Dark chocolate candy bar for grating on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8″ pans and set aside.
- Place the cake mix, oil, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and blend for three minutes, or until well-blended.
- Pour evenly into two pans, smoothing with spatula.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger. Remove and allow to cool for ten minutes. Remove from pans & then cool for another 30 minutes.
- Place the cream cheese & butter in a mix bowl. Blend until combined. Add sifted cocoa powder, cinnamon, and confectioners sugar, and finally vanilla. Blend until combined and icing looks fluffy. Add an additional 1/4-1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar if needed.
- Ice cake and dust with dark chocolate candy bar shavings to finish.
Adapted from Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (affiliate)