Try this easy 3-ingredient chicken burger patties recipe for your next family cookout! These ground chicken burgers are easy to prep ahead and a perfect dish to grill out for a crowd. They are topped with fresh mozzarella, spinach, tomato, and a lightly toasted hamburger bun. You will want to make these chicken patties over and over again.
Are you looking for a healthy alternative to hamburgers on the grill for your summer cookout?
Although I love a beef burger, we have been trying to eat more heart-healthy and rely a lot on chicken breast to get our protein fix without the fat and calories.
Few recipes get as much love in our house as this chicken burger recipe.
After many summers making these, I have discovered that these are great to prepare in make-ahead containers with the grocery store’s sale on whatever fruits and vegetables are in season. The burgers reheat like a dream and are fancy enough that they are perfect for entertaining.
I never thought we would ever prefer a chicken burger recipe over a juicy Angus burger, but this is THE recipe that my family requests repeatedly.
The Best Chicken Burgers Recipe
This chicken pesto burger recipe has been a family favorite for years.
These burgers take just a few ingredients and avoid traditional chicken burger fillers (typically, a cup of bread crumbs or more!). The absence of fillers makes it a great gluten-free dish to share.
How to Grill These Chicken Burgers
Because these burgers do not contain filler ingredients, it makes a very delicate patty. I prepare these on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Grilling them on a foil-lined grill (sprayed with a bit of nonstick cooking spray) over medium-high heat, uncovered, helps them keep their consistency and juiciness.
You will want to make sure that they have a good five minutes on the grill before attempting to flip these, and using two spatulas (one to flip and one to assist) is the best way to help these patties hold their shape.
Add a side of roasted green beans for a fun side that you and the kids will love.
How to Cook These Chicken Burgers on the Stovetop
If you prefer, you can prepare these burgers indoors on a skillet over medium heat. I find that a cast iron skillet is a helpful tool in your kitchen arsenal, especially when preparing burgers and steaks at home. Make sure your skillet is oiled well with olive oil before you add these burgers.
You can cook your chicken burgers for seven minutes on each side or until they are cooked throughout. Remember, this patty benefits from a flip with two spatulas since they are very delicate.
What Toppings Do I Add to These Burgers?
Our favorite toppings are a dash of salt and pepper, pesto, spinach (or arugula), and tomatoes for these burgers. Please don’t feel like you have to be limited by my topping choices, though! You can top these burgers with ketchup, dijon mustard, cheddar cheese slices, provolone slices, green onions, romaine lettuce, or any other burger topping that your heart desires.
What Type of Pesto Do You Use For These Burgers?
If you are looking for an affordable jar of pesto, I would recommend the ALDI store brand for these burgers. Don’t feel limited by the traditional pesto flavoring profile though, you can also use a sundried tomato version for a fun twist on these traditional flavors.?
The Best Chicken Burgers Recipe
Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: 4 burgers
- 1 pound uncooked ground chicken or ground turkey
- 4-6 tablespoons purchased basil pesto
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach (optional for topping)
- 8 small tomato slices
- Ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine ground chicken, pesto, salt, and pepper. Shape into four ½-inch-thick oval patties (to fit bread).
- Line your grill with aluminum foil and spray the foil generously with nonstick cooking spray. Turn the grill on to medium-high heat.
- Grill, uncovered, 10 to 13 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (165 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- Top each patty with a mozzarella slice—cover grill; grill 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Add bread and grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until toasted. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Place patty in your hamburger bun.
- Top with a drizzle of pesto and sliced tomatoes to finish. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper.