Here’s a list of everything you need to stream on television for Halloween! These 8 tv shows, with hilarious Halloween episodes, prove that Halloween can be funny (and not spooky). Be sure to pin this post so you can remember this list of Halloween episodes, for your family, every year.
From our marriage & parenting contributor, Mary Carver.
When I was little I started having nightmares. My mom eventually realized they were caused by something she’d allowed me to watch on television. The terrifying show? Scooby Doo.
I’m no longer scared by a silly cartoon, but I’ll admit I could only watch one season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer before I got too scared. (Yes, I know it’s so fake! Yes, I agree it’s super campy! I know!)
I don’t see horror movies in the theater, I don’t read Stephen King novels, and when our local amusement park starts playing its “fright night” commercials every year I lose my mind because HOW DARE THEY.
Suffice it to say, I’m not really here for the scary parts of Halloween. But the candy and costumes?
Oh yeah, that’s my jam.
I love dressing up my kids and seeing other kids’ clever and cute costumes. Sometimes I even dress up with them.
And, obviously, I’m in it for the candy.
And the pumpkins.
And don’t forget It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
The Peanuts gang waiting for the Great Pumpkin is, by far, our family favorite for Halloween entertainment.
(A close second for me is the “Monster Mash” song, which — for some reason — never fails to make me laugh.
And sing along.
Much to my kids’ dismay.)
But luckily for scaredy cat couch potatoes like me, that’s not the only Halloween fun to be found on TV.
In case you’re like me and looking for something to watch that’s more silly than spooky, I’ve got some recommendations.
8 TV Shows with Hilarious Halloween Episodes
These shows have aired several Halloween episodes, so you have plenty to choose from!
Each year’s Halloween Heist is crazier and funnier than the last, but season 5 takes the cake (and our hearts). Stream on Hulu.
- Halloween – Season 1, Episode 6
- Halloween 2 – Season 2, Episode 4
- Halloween, Part III – Season 3, Episode 5
- Halloween IV – Season 4, Episode 5
- HalloVeen – Season 5, Episode 4
If ever there was a family that goes all out for Halloween, the Pritchetts and Dunphys are it! Stream on Hulu.
- Halloween – Season 2, Episode 6
- Open House of Horrors – Season 4, Episode 5
- Halloween 3: AwesomeLand – Season 6, Episode 6
- Halloween IV: Revenge of Rod Skyhook – Season 8, Episode 5
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Phil Dunphy – Season 9, Episode 5
- Good Grief – Season 10, Episode 5
Parks and Recreation
Of course the show that introduced us to new holidays including Galentine’s Day and Treat Yourself Day would have fun Halloween episodes! (My favorite is the one where Ben just about breaks Leslie’s heart and ours, but then totally redeems himself. It’s the best kind of Halloween surprise!) Stream on Netflix.
- Greg Pikitis – Season 2, Episode 7
- Meet N Greet – Season 4, Episode 5
- Halloween Surprise – Season 5, Episode 5
The New Girl gang threw a lot of parties in their loft, including on Halloween. But I think I love the one at the haunted house, where the relationship drama is scarier than the special effects, even more. Stream on Netflix.
- Halloween – Season 2, Episode 6
- Keaton – Season 3, Episode 6
How I Met Your Mother
Who commits to a bit better than this gang? Nobody, I tell you! Ted’s search for “the slutty pumpkin” (not to mention their costumes through the years) never fails to make me laugh! Stream on Hulu.
- The Slutty Pumpkin – Season 1, Episode 6
- Canning Randy – Season 6, Episode 7
- The Slutty Pumpkin Returns – Season 7, Episode 8
The later seasons of Community were so disappointing, but those early seasons were must-see TV for me. And their Halloween episodes? Well, they brought us Britta’s squirrel costume, Jeff Winger in eyeliner, and Abed as Batman. Who can argue with that? Stream on Hulu.
- Introduction to Statistics – Season 1, Episode 7
- Epidemiology – Season 2, Episode 6
- Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps – Season 3, Episode 5
When a regular day at this office is so crazy, you know Halloween is going to be totally bonkers! Stream on Netflix.
- Halloween – Season 2, Episode 5
- Diwali – Season 3, Episode 6
- Employee Transfer – Season 5, Episode 6
- Murder – Season 6, Episode 10
- Costume Contest – Season 7, Episode 6
- Spooked – Season 8, Episode 5
- Here Comes Treble – Season 9, Episode 5
Of course our favorite stuffy Seattle-ites would throw a fancy Halloween costume ball. And of course misunderstandings and laughter are aplenty! Stream on Netflix.
- Halloween – Season 5, Episode 3
- Room Full of Heroes – Season 9, Episode 6
- Tales from the Crypt – Season 10, Episode 5
Mary Carver is a writer, speaker, and recovering perfectionist. She lives for good books, spicy queso, and television marathons, but she lives because of God’s grace. Mary writes with humor and honesty about giving up on perfect and finding truth in unexpected places on her blog,MaryCarver.com. She is the author of Fast Talk & Faith: A 22-Day Devotional Inspired by Gilmore Girls and co-author of Choose Joy: Finding Hope & Purpose When Life Hurts. She is also a regular contributor to incourage.me and MothersofDaughters.com. Mary and her husband live in Kansas City with their two daughters.
What are your favorite Halloween TV episodes?
this post contains affiliate links
Love this post? Here are 4 other Halloween projects you might appreciate!