I love crunchy breaded chicken and these Pecan-Crusted Chicken Tenders fit the bill perfectly with a healthy and wholesome breading that you will love. These pecan-crusted chicken tenders have a pecan coating made from pecans, a little whole wheat flour, and panko.
I made a triple batch of these for our family. If you have the food processor out, you might as well make a large batch of coating so that you can enjoy these all week long.These can be wrapped in tortillas with a smear of the yogurt dill sauce or they can be placed on top of a delicious salad with homemade dressing.
Lining the pan with parchment paper makes for easy clean-up and still browns the bottom of the tenders beautifully!
There are two things that really make these tenders a standout. One is the incorporation of spices in the coating. Dry mustard, the smokiness of the paprika, the rich flavor of garlic and onion powder all add to the flavorful coating and make the coating as delicious as the tender chicken inside. The second thing that really makes these is the yogurt-dill sauce for dipping your tenders in. I used Chobani Greek Yogurt which, thanks to the thickness and flavor, it makes this sauce feel as indulgent as Ranch dressing.
My kids were happy little dippers and this was a great way for them to get a little dairy in their diet without them knowing.
- ½ cup pecans
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound chicken tenders, larger pieces cut in half lengthwise
- For dip:
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Whir pecans, flour, paprika, dry mustard, garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor until pecans are ground to a powder, about 30 seconds.
- Drizzle in the oil with the motor running, blending completely. Transfer mixture to a shallow dish and stir in the panko bread crumbs.
- Beat egg in a second shallow dish and add chicken tenders, coating them completely. Transfer each tender to the breading, turning to coat evenly. Arrange chicken on the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and nearly firm, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir all dip ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve and eat immediately.