Looking for a creative gift to craft up that requires zero crafting skills and can be made in under 15 minutes. These yarn ball ornaments are the perfect gift to give for the holidays and are unbelievably easy to create for the holiday season. The best part is that it is a gift perfect for knitters, but doesn’t require knitting! If you are a knitter, like me, it is a fantastic stash-buster of a project!
The inspiration for this craft came from this picture of an ornament at Target that my girlfriend sent to me. I loved the idea of this ornament, but wanted to create something a little more authentic for my knitting friends. After a few trips to the craft store and some test ornaments, I am sharing with you how you can make these cute ornaments for someone you love!
1 package of 2 1/2″ Styrofoam balls
1 package 3/8″ Round Wooden Beads
Glue Sticks & Glue Gun
1. Grab two wooden skewers and measure them to 5 inches. Using your wire cutters, clamp down and break off the top end of the skewer to create the knitting needles.
2. Dab a little craft glue on the end of the skewer and top it with the wooden bead. Make sure the top of the bead lines up with the top hole so that you no longer see it. Repeat with the other skewer and set these aside to dry.
3. Add a dab of hot glue to your Styrofoam ball and start wrapping it with yarn. Keep wrapping around and around until the yarn ball is completely covered. Add one more dab of hot glue and secure the end of the yarn to the ball. Trim to keep it flush with the ball and set aside to dry.
4. Grab your wooden knitting needles and cross them through the front of the yarn ball.
5. Trim another strand of yarn and, using an embroidery needle, loop the yarn through the top of the yarn ball. Knot it, and then slide the knot into the opposite side of the ball, tucking your knot in so it is no longer visible.
I hope this craft inspires you for your holiday giving. I will confess to you now that I am going to have a very hard time parting with these cute ornaments. I just might be making myself a few over the holidays!