One of our family’s favorite weeknight meals is a big batch of our favorite weeknight chicken enchiladas. The first recipe I ever tried instructed me how to make my own homemade enchilada sauce to go along with our yummy enchiladas. I had never made enchiladas before so I assumed that a homemade enchilada sauce was the only way to make this recipe. Once I made and realized how easy it was to make my own sauce though, I never once considered buying my enchilada sauce.
Making your own sauces and mixes is a fantastic way to save money and you also have the opportunity to control the quality of ingredients that go into your dishes. With a sauce like an enchilada sauce, for example, you also can control the spiciness of the dish to your own preference.
Once you make this simple and fast enchilada sauce, I guarantee you will never buy the pre-packaged sauces again. The best part about this recipe though is that it is made from items you already have in your pantry and spices that are likely already lurking in your cupboard.
We serve this yummy sauce on top of my favorite chicken enchiladas. These enchiladas never last long in our house and are awesome reheated in the oven (I reheat mine at 400 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes on a baking stone) for an easy lunch. When reheated in the oven, they taste just like the day you made them and are delicious served with a little fresh fruit for a yummy side.
I hope you can give these recipes a try in your house! I just know you will love them as much as we do!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (we adjusted to 1 teaspoon)
- 3 garlic cloves,minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and salt and cook until softened, about five minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about fifteen seconds.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about five minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.