When I was a child, one of my absolute favorite foods was stuffed green peppers. Stuffed green pepper soup is the next best thing to stuffed green peppers and offers all the flavors you love in a stuffed pepper, but in a rich tomato broth. Once you make a batch of this stuffed green pepper soup in your slow cooker, you will want to make it and eat it over and over again.
I wanted to create this soup for my slow cooker and fill it with my favorite stuffed green pepper ingredients- diced tomatoes, garlic, lean ground beef, and a hearty addition of brown rice. I prefer a combination of broths in this (beef and chicken broth) because it helps lighten this hearty soup. I also wanted this soup to cook itself since we have busy days with extracurricular activities in the evenings. This soup is a one pot wonder and can be served with a loaf of crusty bread for a busy weeknight. The leftovers offer a filling and satisfying lunch as well!
I hope you will love this soup as much as I do! It will be a recipe repeat for me and is a great soup to be doubled and shared with friends!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef or sirloin
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 3- 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (NOT INSTANT)- HIGHLY recommend Uncle Ben's Brown Rice for this recipe.
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a skillet, add your olive oil and saute your garlic for one minute.
- Add your ground beef to the skillet and season well with pepper and salt.
- Once cooked, drain your ground beef & garlic mixture, and add this to your slow cooker.
- Next add your diced green peppers, beef broth, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasoning, and brown rice. Give it all a stir.
- Set your slow cooker to LOW for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- Side note- if your slow cooker sets itself to WARM after it is done cooking, you only need to cook this for four hours. If your slow cooker does not set itself to WARM, it will need to cook for six hours.