Tilapia is one of my favorite types of fish and I am always on the lookout for fresh ways to prepare it. When I came across a recipe for Tilapia Pitas, I just knew we had to give this recipe a try in our house. Anything that includes a pita is a surefire weeknight winner. Of course, the best part is that this dish is so fast to prepare and a perfect way to spice up your usual taco night.
Tilapia is a white mild fish that our whole family loves. You can find it inexpensively in the frozen section of your local grocery store and it is a fun fish to add into a variety of weeknight creations. I have to say that it really has become our family’s favorite fish and we enjoy this weekly.
I prepared this Tilapia simply by sauteing it in a little olive oil and adding a little Old Bay Seasoning (found over by the seafood counter in your grocery store) to add a little zest to the fish along with salt and pepper. Of course, you can add whatever spices suit your fancy for adding flavor to this mild fish.
The sauce makes this pita creation even more divine with a mixture of mayonnaise, Italian dressing, and creamy feta cheese. Fresh romaine lettuce adds a little crunch to these fish pitas while the sauce adds creaminess and flavor.
Make your own pitas or pick them up at your grocery store to save yourself time in the kitchen. However you create them, these pockets are full of deliciousness and are a great way to spice up your fish routines.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Italian salad dressing
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- Old Bay Seasoning (a generous sprinkle)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 pita breads, cut in half
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, Italian dressing, and your feta cheese.
- Season with cayenne pepper (optional), black pepper and salt.
- Mix until well blended, then set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the tilapia fillets in the skillet, and season with Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Saute until browned on each side, and fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Warm pita breads in the toaster or in the microwave to soften. Open from the cut side to make pockets.
- Fill pita bread halves with tilapia fillets, then spoon in some of the feta cheese sauce.
- Serve with your favorite fruits and vegetables for a yummy fresh side dish.
For those looking for another great meatless dishes, here are a few of our own family’s favorites!