Continuing with our theme of handmade gifts, I wanted to share this easy DIY for glamming up a pair of slippers for the holidays with some easy interchangeable fabric flowers that I created to dress-up a pair of slippers.
Large Circle Punch or Cup/Jar that you can trace to create your circles
Fabric Quarters or Scrap Fabric
1 Piece of Felt
Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
3/4″ Circle Heavy-Duty Magnets OR you can use Velcro circle dots (reinforced with hot glue)
1. Begin by cutting out nine circles of your fabric for each flower. For a pair of shoes, you will need eighteen of these circles in total. I used a large circle punch and created my template out of scrap card stock, but you could also trace a cup to create your own template.
2. Next cut out two smaller circles of felt. I just freehanded these. You will be using these as the base of your fabric flowers.
3. For these fabric flowers, we are going to make the flower more flat than we did in my flower clips that I have a tutorial for, so they will lay nice and flat on your slippers. Begin by folding your circle in half and then half again. Add a dab of glue on the bottom and secure it to your flower. Repeat this process three more times and it will fill the base of the flower.
4. Add another layer on top of the flower, folding them as I shared above, and weaving them between the layers of the flower until it is full. If you like the look of it with just eight petals, that is okay too. You just want to make sure that the flower is filled out entirely.
5. Add a dab of glue to your button and secure it to the top of the flower. Repeat all of these steps again to make the second one for the second shoe.
6. You can secure your fabric flowers directly on to your slippers (suggested if you are committed to your flowers), or you can add a magnet OR Velcro dots (in the sewing supplies of your craft shop) to the top of these and then secure a magnet/Velcro dot to the back of the flowers to make these interchangeable.
If making an interchangeable set with magnets, be sure to test your magnets to make sure they are attracting and select heavy-duty magnets that will really hold these flowers to your slippers.
I absolutely love these slippers and loved them so much I may have kept them for myself and now have to run out and get supplies to make more of them!
If you like this project, I know you will love these 54 handmade gifts to give, my yarn ball ornaments to give for the holidays, these adorable knitted coffee cup sweaters, and our easy burlap wreath for gift-giving!