I’m partnering with Workman Publishing today to share about (and giveaway!!) their beautiful new Summer Brain Quest workbooks to help with the summer slump that always seems to inevitably happen in our house. I am so excited to share these with you and showcase a fun new DIY recipe for Fluffy Slime that will DEFINITELY be on our summer craft agenda this year multiple times.
Summer Brain Quest workbooks are officially on sale on April 18th and are meant as a tool to help kiddos (and their teachers) to prevent “summer slide.” Did you know that most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in math, and many also lose reading achievement, during the summer? Now Brain Quest joins the fight against it with workbooks targeting each summer between kindergarten and 6th grade. As my own child is approaching her 6th grade year, we are so excited to get to work in these.
These smart books include a pull-out map that guides kids on a learning quest. They fill in their route on the map by earning stickers for completing workbook pages as well as pursuing outdoor activities. The map offers a choice of routes, allowing kids to customize their learning path and pursue what excites them most (extra math problems? more hands-on science?), and also encouraging them to jump around within the book to follow their curiosity.
I love that this structure helps them learn yet feels like a game! They even hired the video game artist, Edison Yan, to make every book feel fresh and fun for kids!
I’m so excited to be giving a set of these away to one lucky reader. Scroll down to enter today’s giveaway with Summer Brain Quest!!
In honor of this launch, we thought we’d launch a little something of our own and create some Fluffy Slime to celebrate. Slime is quite exciting at our middle school and I have heard there are even slime trades going on when kids mix up a batch. There has been so much slime-making that there has even been a reported glue shortage throughout certain areas of the country.
Who knew slime was so dang cool?
We wanted to mix up some fluffy slime with you today that would be the perfect summer activity to do together and another fun way to break your kids out of that summer slump!
How to Make DIY Fluffy Slime
Elmer’s Washable Glue (this size is the best bet so you don’t run out!)
Borax (make sure a parent supervises and assists with this ingredient)
Shaving Cream (the cheap foaming kind, not the gel variety!)
Measuring cups, spoons, and bowl
Food coloring (optional)
Directions for Making Fluffy Slime
1. Measure one cup of hot water and mix this with 1 tablespoon of Borax. Mix until these two ingredients are fully incorporated and the water turns clear. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT- reports of reactions to Borax are because it has not been properly diluted. I recommend that the parents do this step to insure the safety of the slime. Set aside.
2. Add one cup of glue to a large bowl and mix this with a 1/2 cup of water until it is fully incorporated.
3. Add 3 1/2 cups of shaving cream to the bowl and mix together well. Next, add a few drops of food coloring (we used red in our version) to add a pretty hue to your slime. Once this is all mixed well, add a tablespoon of your Borax mixture and mix well. Keep repeating tablespoon by tablespoon until your slime pulls away from the bowl and starts to form into a ball. Our slime only required three tablespoons of our diluted Borax mixture before it pulled away into a ball!
We are so excited to share our fluffy slime with our friends and to also share these Summer Brain Quest workbooks with you! Yay!
Enter below for our fun giveaway so you can fight the summer slide in academics with your kids!
One (1) winner receives:
- Complete set of 6 Summer Brain Quest workbooks (grades K-6)
- Branded colored pencils
- Branded Frisbee
- Branded swim goggles
- And a branded drawstring backpack to hold it all!
Please follow the widget below to enter to win! I hope this post inspires you to get organized. As always, feel free to ask me any questions in the comments below! Good luck, everyone!
You can learn more about Summer Brain Quest in the links below:
Visit their Official Site
Hang out on their blog Workman Blog
Like @WorkmanPublishing on Facebook
This post was sponsored by Workman Publishing and Big Fat Notebooks. All thoughts and opinions are my own!