One of the hardest things I did this year was to start eating a dairy-free diet. This dairy-free crustless quiche recipe got me through many cheesy-filled get holiday togethers and was created just for myself for Christmas morning this year. You won’t believe how decadent this dairy-free crustless quiche tastes and, I highly doubt, you will even miss the milk or cheese.
Dairy-free doesn’t mean egg-free for me, but it did mean giving up the cheese and milk in my life. I made an easy transition into drinking almond milk (remember those infamous milk allergy mugs), but other transitions were a little more challenging. Our weekly pizza night now has a special alternative-cheese section for me, tacos and enchiladas also have an alternative-cheese section, creamy & decadent main dishes have been abandoned for now, and I have had to learn some new ways of snacking. Although it has been challenging, the rewards have been so worth it for my stomach.
Although a round of allergy testing proved, I am not allergic to milk, my body’s response to it is to attack itself for three days straight if I have any dairy. As I get older, I want to deal with that less and less. Who has time to be sick for three days? Luckily for me, there are many great dairy-free options at the supermarket and natural food stores to keep me full and happy.
What I love about this quiche is that it offers the perfect balance of layers of delicious veggies with an egg mixture mixed with a little spice and the mild flavor of rice milk.
Although many times you need to go to natural food stores to stock up on dairy-free alternatives, this dish can be created with supplies bought at your local Walmart stores. The rice milk is available with a couple of other milk alternative options over by the coffee/tea section of our store. I am becoming a fan of rice milk for cooking and I think you will too!
Don’t feel limited to the vegetable options I am sharing though, the beauty of a quiche is that it can be created from whatever you might need to use up in your vegetable drawer of your refrigerator!
- Dairy-Free Crustless Quiche
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 handfuls fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped if desired
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 1 pint cherry mushrooms, sliced in half
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup plain rice milk
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and heat for one minute.
- Toss in chopped bell peppers and mushrooms and cook for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder, rice or almond milk, salt, paprika, and black pepper.
- Stir in the sauteed vegetables and fresh spinach, and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased pie pan.
- Place the sliced cherry tomatoes on top, cut side down.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the quiche to set up for at least five minutes.
- Cut and then serve immediately.
What healthy eating plans do you have for the New Year? Any advice for someone who is trying to go dairy-free with their diet? I would love to hear your ideas!
I am a part of the Walmart Moms program, and Walmart has provided me with compensation for these posts My participation is voluntary and opinions are always my own.