I can’t think of anything I love as much as the flavor combinations of chicken and pesto. Sometimes my ideas for pairing flavors together come from amazing restaurants with talented chefs. This recipe for a Chicken Pesto Open-Faced Flatbread Sandwich though came from a humble beginning at Fazoli’s.
At least I am honest.
I wanted to recreate the idea of the flatbread sandwiches that they serve at the restaurant, but add a gourmet spin to them with simple ingredients I found at my local supermarket. What makes this recipe a true showstopper is the delicious and flavorful grilled meat (using my favorite knock-off Cracker Barrel Chicken Tenders) and the pesto drizzle that is created from a simple store-bought pesto mixed with the richness and tang of the balsamic vinegar.
The results are nothing short of spectacular. We simply could not stop eating these. It tasted like a restaurant-worthy dish, but was made in the comforts of our own home. The leftovers, as little left as there were, were nothing short of spectacular.
Eat them like a pizza or fold it up (if-you-dare) and eat it like a sandwich…it all tastes the same.
All I know is that this dish will be repeated and repeated often.
In fact, I want it again already.
- 1 pound diced grilled chicken (see my notes above for recommended preparation)
- 1 cup Italian Cheese Blend shredded cheese
- ½ cup jarred pesto
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a jar, mix together the pesto, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Set aside.
- Turn on your oven's broiler to high.
- On a cookie sheet, top individual flatbreads with a handful of shredded Italian cheese (approximately ¼ cup each).
- Broil the flatbread for two minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top each flatbread with grilled chicken, lettuce, and fresh tomato slices.
- Finish each flatbread off with a generous dollop of your pesto drizzle.