Chili weather makes me oh-so-happy and today I am featuring a Pumpkin Chili recipe that you just have to try this year in your slow cooker. Yes, you heard me right, Pumpkin Chili is my new favorite chili and once you try this pumpkin chili recipe, you will be singing its praises too.
I am one of those people that gets settled into her old routines when it comes to recipes especially recipes that I just don’t think they should be fooled with. Chili is one of those types of recipes, yet, I have found myself on the hunt for fresh new pumpkin recipes and just knew that I had to try out this idea for Pumpkin Chili.
After stumbling upon a recipe, trying to take it completely apart, playing with spices, and then switching out the ingredients until they pleased me, I now have a version of Pumpkin Chili that is all my own.
Don’t be scared of the pumpkin because chances are that you won’t even notice the pumpkin flavor. No, all the flavor for this one comes from the pumpkin pie spices that are incorporated within in it. Much like my Creamy Pumpkin Pasta recipe (you MUST try that!), it just leaves everyone going, “Hmmmm…What is that?!”
Basically, when you lean in to smell the chili in your slow cooker, it will smell like pumpkin pie, but you will see chili in there and get super confused. And then it will all work itself out when you taste it, and then might be a tiny bit confusing, but then you will realize that it is perfectly genius together.
And all will be right with the world again.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. In fact, I am making my second batch of that this week along with another batch of Slow Cooker Stuffed Green Pepper Soup, another slow cooked wonder that I highly recommend.
If you are looking for another great chili recipe, be sure to check out my White Chicken Chili for another fun variation!
Happy slow cooking, friends!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or adjusted to your own level of heat)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef and ground turkey until brown; drain.
- Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes. Transfer ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Add in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree.
- Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and sugar.
- Put lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve in bowls with a variety of your favorite toppings.