In our family, there is nothing we love more than our weekly batch of waffles. I decided to pair together two flavors that our family had never experienced before, brown butter and cherries, for a fun spin to go along with our favorite summer fruit.
Browning butter adds a surprising depth of flavor to your dishes and takes a mere three minutes to pull off. Just by cooking your butter in a saucepan a tad past the melting point, it results in the milk solids in the butter browning, and creates a wonderfully nutty aroma in your kitchen and in your foods.
Much like one of my other favorite waffle recipes, whipped egg whites add lightness to these waffles and help balance the nutty flavoring of the browned butter in these waffles.
I had half a pound of cherries in our refrigerator and this recipe was the perfect way to use them up. I pitted the cherries and cut them in half, then allowed them time to marinate in a few tablespoons of honey while I gathered the ingredients for the waffles. The sugars in the honey help to break down the cherries and release their cherry juices into the honeyed sauce. It results in a sweet topping that is just sweet enough to balance the delicate flavors of these waffles.
A double batch of these in our freezer won’t last long and I doubt they will last long in your house either! Happy waffle making!
- 2 cups cherries (about ½ pound)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Halve and pit the cherries and place in a bowl.
- Add the honey, stir to mix evenly and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the cherries to release some of their juice.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk solids in the bottom of the pan turn a toasty brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the milk, egg yolks and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk mixture and whisk just until combined (a few small lumps are okay).
- In another bowl, using a clean whisk or a handheld mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Scoop the whites onto the batter and, using the whisk, gently fold them in evenly.
- Spoon the batter into your waffle maker (sprayed with nonstick spray), and cook until the waffle is golden brown, usually about 4 minutes.
- Serve the waffles piping hot with a big spoonful of the cherries.