Grain & Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes
Author: Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Recipe type: Main
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or you can substitute with 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes.
- Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.
- Recipe should yield 12 pancakes.
Recipe by The Motherload at http://momadvice.com/blog/2012/09/grain-and-nut-whole-wheat-pancakes