Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Author: Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
Recipe type: Side
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (we adjusted to 1 teaspoon)
- 3 garlic cloves,minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and salt and cook until softened, about five minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about fifteen seconds.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about five minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Recipe by MomAdvice at http://momadvice.com/blog/2012/09/homemade-enchilada-sauce