Brown Butter Waffles With Cherries
Author: Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Blog
Recipe type: Main
- 2 cups cherries (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Halve and pit the cherries and place in a bowl.
- Add the honey, stir to mix evenly and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the cherries to release some of their juice.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk solids in the bottom of the pan turn a toasty brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the milk, egg yolks and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk mixture and whisk just until combined (a few small lumps are okay).
- In another bowl, using a clean whisk or a handheld mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Scoop the whites onto the batter and, using the whisk, gently fold them in evenly.
- Spoon the batter into your waffle maker (sprayed with nonstick spray), and cook until the waffle is golden brown, usually about 4 minutes.
- Serve the waffles piping hot with a big spoonful of the cherries.
Recipe by The Motherload at http://momadvice.com/blog/2012/08/brown-butter-waffles-with-cherries