Chocolate Almond Cake With Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Author: The Cake Mix Doctor
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract (for your frosting)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 9-inch cake round pans by generously greasing them with vegetable shortening and then dusting them with flour. Set your pans aside.
- Heat the chopped chocolate and water in a a saucepan over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Set the pan aside to cool for ten minutes.
- Place the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs, almond extract, and melted chocolate mixture in a large mixing bowl. Blend your cake mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans, smoothing with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cakes for 28-30 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for five minutes. Take cakes out of the pans and allow them to cool on the wire rack for thirty minutes.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Blend well until combined.
- Add cocoa powder, almond extract, and confectioners' sugar and blend until the frosting is fluffy.
- Frost your cake.
- Place the cake uncovered in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, approximately 20 minutes.
- Cover the cake with waxed paper and store in your refrigerator for up to one week.
- To freeze the cake, wrap it in aluminum foil, for up to six months.
- Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Recipe by The Motherload at http://momadvice.com/blog/2012/07/chocolate-almond-cake-with-chocolate-cream-cheese-frosting