Grilled Ground Beef Gyros
Author: Adapted from Food.com
Recipe type: Main
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (I did omit since we don't like onions)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Filling: 1 lb lean ground beef (or you can use ground turkey)
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 4 pita breads (store-bought or you can try my easy bread machine pita)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate. In separate bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings. Mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.
- Cut patties into thin slices.
- Stuff into pitas. Add lettuce, tomato, and onion.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.
Recipe by MomAdvice at http://momadvice.com/blog/2011/06/grilled-ground-beef-gyros