Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Peppermint Frosting
Author: Adapted from Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 3½ cups sifted confectioner's sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set aside two greased 8" cake pans.
- Place the egg whites & cream of tartar in a mixing bowl. Beat with your mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (approximately 2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- Place the cake mix, water, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat these until incorporated.
- Turn the egg whites out on top of the batter and fold it in until the mixture is light, but well combined.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly touched with your fingers, approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Invert them immediately and allow the cakes to cool for one hour upside down.
- Remove them from the cake pan and place them right side up again.
- Place the butter, peppermint extract, and 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend to incorporate and slowly add in the remaining sugar and remaining milk. If the frosting seems too stiff, add in an additional tablespoon of milk.
- Decorate with crushed peppermint candies on top.
Recipe by MomAdvice at http://momadvice.com/blog/2014/01/chocolate-chiffon-cake-with-peppermint-frosting