Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Recipe type: Main
- 5 bell peppers (any color), sliced in half stem-to-tip, seeds removed
- 1c quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles, undrained
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 cup dairy-free shreds (optional)
- 28-ounce jar of enchilada sauce (or a double batch of my homemade version, linked above)
- Prepare quinoa as instructed on the box or using the method linked above for cooking in your choice of vegetable broth or water.
- Prepare enchilada sauce recipe (linked to above) or omit this step if using prepared enchilada sauce.
- Slice the peppers in half and remove the seeds. Microwave pepper halves 3-4 minutes to soften slightly.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add it to a mixing bowl. Stir in the rinsed black beans, tomato, green chiles and their juices, cilantro, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Pour enchilada sauce into a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Fill the peppers with the filling and then rest them in the enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees 30 minutes.. Remove foil and cook about 5 minutes longer. If cheese isn't melted still, turn broiler on high and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve peppers drizzled with enchilada sauce.
Recipe by The Motherload at http://momadvice.com/blog/2013/08/mexican-quinoa-stuffed-bell-peppers