I’m so excited to be putting together my first fashion capsule wardrobe this year. Ever since I was a kid, I have been intrigued by fashion capsule projects. When I think of them I think of the popular Donna Karan line with seven easy pieces that inspired so many women to embrace a capsule wardrobe. Who couldn’t be inspired by the simplicity of those pieces and how many outfits you could create from them?
I was not blessed with a big wardrobe budget when I was young, but I had big dreams of making the most of key pieces even then. I remember reading a piece in Glamour Magazine on the school bus that shared the essential pieces every girl should own which included a black blazer, a white shirt, a good pair of jeans, black slacks, and booties. My money for starting my fall wardrobe budget for high school was very small though so I remember investing in these pieces that I found for no more than $10-15 each at the cheapest store in town. What resulted was a really bad school picture in a poorly fitted shirt that only got washed once and became a wrinkly awful misshapen mess that I never could wear again.
The intentions were there, but the budget was not.
As I admitted, I am very passionate about fashion, but have no claims to fame in the fashion blogging world. I decided to embrace a fashion capsule challenge of my own and see if it makes an impact both on how much I am buying and how much I can create from what I already own. I am not doing a ten piece challenge because that does not fit with the area I live in (multiple seasons in the course of three months- you have to love the Midwest!) or with my personal style. I love that with a fashion capsule you have the freedom to make it what you need in your life.
If you are already a fashion minimalist, you can be unimpressed with me.
I openly admit that I have a closet that is bulging over into other areas of our home and needs to be tailored down. I have so much- I can do better. For me, this is a true challenge, but one that I hope will help me a lot to learn to embrace a less-is-more philosophy in one area that I need improving in.
What Is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing which is designed using only interchangeable items, in order to maximise the number of outfits which can be created. The aim is to have an outfit suitable for any occasion without owning excessive items of clothing. This is usually achieved by buying what are considered to be “key” or “staple” items in coordinating colours.
This project was inspired by the Unfancy fashion capsule challenge, but I am making a few of my own rules for my own personal challenge.
37 Piece Wardrobe- The wardrobe can have 37 pieces in it. This wardrobe does not include pajamas, workout gear, undergarments, or camisoles (something that is a necessity for me). The capsule is made from items I already own, some purchased to be workhorses in my wardrobe (since I fail in this department greatly), and purchased second hand at Goodwill or through Twice. All of the items I am not wearing and still love are being tucked in storage for the next fashion capsule. I have created a Fashion Capsule Pinterest Board to help inspire me with the pieces I am using.
No Shoe Shopping- I am not including my shoes for this challenge, but I am challenging myself to not buy any more shoes and use what I already have.
One Steal Per Month- Things and events come up and I am allowing myself one steal per month from items that I already own. I may find I don’t need this, but I think it might help with the shopping bug.
No Shopping For Clothing- I will wear the clothes I have selected and not shop for three months and only shop two weeks prior to the next capsule for items for the next season if needed. This is going to require a lot of discipline for me and I am planning to unsubscribe to shopping newsletters and avoid the shops as much as possible.
Reassess & Evaluate The Next Capsule- Maybe I will find I don’t need 37 pieces. Maybe I will find that a steal is unnecessary. Maybe I will find that I like my capsule so much that I won’t need a new one. I promise to reevaluate this in three months.
Hopefully This Will Inspire You- Like I said, if you are rocking the minimalist life, this challenge may seem silly. If you aren’t or if you are and want to find new ways to use your pieces, I am hoping to share those ideas with you. I have no time to do a daily document, but I am happy to share once in awhile some fun ways I am wearing my 37 pieces. Please see my disclaimer above because I do not claim to be a fashion blogger. Take the ideas at your own risk!
Let’s take a peek at the wardrobe! Here are the items that I have for my Fall 2014 Fashion Capsule. The ones that have not been pictured are currently in alterations and have an asterisk next to them!
1. a’reve lace shirt (owned- Flourish Boutique)
2. Polka Dotted Peplum Top (owned- Francesca’s)
3. H&M Black & White Striped Top (owned- Goodwill)
4. Gap Black Blazer (owned- Gap)
5. Fleetwood Mac T-Shirt (owned- Luxe Wagon)
6. Old Navy Vintage V-Neck T-Shirt in Black (Old Navy)
7. Old Navy Vintage V-Neck T-Shirt in White (Old Navy)
8. Faux Leather Jacket (purchased- Marshall’s)
9. Mossimo Short Sleeve Coral Shirt (purchased- Target)
10. Seamless Perfection Long Sleeve Tunic Dress in Black (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
11. Ann Taylor Loft Pink Print Collared Shirt (purchased second hand on Twice)
12. Not Afraid of the Dark Denim Jacket (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
13. Don’t Pull Me Down Mustard Sweater (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
14. Free People White Cowl Neck Sweater (owned- Flourish Boutique)
15. Forest Fairy Cardigan (owned- Flourish Boutique)
16. Black Crochet Sweater (owned- Flourish Boutique)
17. Long Sleeve Seamless Layering Piece in Gray (owned- Flourish Boutique)
18. Old Navy Vintage V-Neck T-Shirt in Gray (Old Navy)
19. Old Navy Plaid Flannel Shirt (owned- Old Navy)
20. White House Black Market Blue Striped Collared Top (purchased second hand on Twice)
21. J. Crew Teal Silk Blend Skirt (purchased second hand on Twice)
22. Pleated Bird Skirt (owned- Stitch Fix)
23. Anthropologie Gray Print Dress (purchased second hand on Twice)
24. Little Black Dress (owned- Flourish Boutique)
25. Old Navy Rock Star Skinny Jeans (owned- Old Navy)
26. Chambray Shirt (owned- Flourish Boutique)
27. Black Pleated Maxi Skirt (owned- Flourish Boutique)
28. Seven Skinny Jeans (owned- Flourish Boutique)
29. Mossimo Black Track Pants (purchased- Target)
30. Blue Colored Skinny Jeans (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
31. The Essential Leggings in Black (owned- Flourish Boutique)
32. Old Navy Rock Star Skinny Jeans in Black (owned- Old Navy)
33. Converse White Collared Shirt (purchased- Target)
*34. The Must-Have Maxi in Burgundy (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
*35. Down With Damask Tunic (similar & owned- Flourish Boutique)
*36. Gap Black Skirt (purchased second hand on Twice)
*37. Mustard Peplum Dress (purchased- Flourish Boutique)
Coupons That Might Help If You Are Making a Capsule Too
Current Coupons for Old Navy (I am a big fan of their jeans and basic t-shirts)
Current Coupons for Target (their wardrobe is on the smart minimalist side this season- yay!)
Current Coupons for Gap (blazers, chambray shirts, collared shirts, jeans- oh my!)
Get $10 for your first Twice purchase (this is my favorite online consignment resource)
Use web code WEB25 for 25% off your purchase at Flourish Boutique (this is our site sponsor and where I get the majority of my clothing). You can also catch a sale daily on the Flourish Boutique Facebook Page)
Stitch Fix can be a fun resource for shopping for smart basic wardrobe pieces if a stylist might benefit you!
Thank you to my hubby for photographing my entire wardrobe for this challenge. I am really excited to share this adventure with you! I won’t be daily documenting, but you can find me on Instagram sharing ideas and we will have some ideas for layering and utilizing these basic items in the upcoming months. I promise though to fully commit to this and I know this will be very good for me this year.
Would you like to do a challenge with me? Feel free to leave a comment below and let me know if you want to join in on the fun or if you are doing a similar challenge of your own!
*this post may contain affiliate links- I only recommend what I love though.