We did so much over our spring break, that we took the last day off to just rest. The kids were tired and so was I, but we finished the weekend off with a yummy dinner and another free Netflix rental…”Alvin & the Chipmunks.”
1. Local Park- Free
2. Playing & Working Outside in the Yard, Dinner & “The Bee Movie” to watch- Free
3. Zoo- Admission $12 (Side Note- We just purchased a family pass for $55, which we will use all summer)
4. Healthworks Museum- Free Admission Day
5. Ethan’s First Sleepover & Dinner with My Sister- $1.50 for tolls to pick him up
6. Knitting Playgroup & a Birthday Party- $1.69 for yarn & $4 for ingredients for birthday pies
Total Cost- $19.19 for six days of fun!
We saved money by packing lunch at the zoo and the playgroup we attended. For all of the other stuff we did, we just made sure that I had something in mind for what we could eat for dinner so that we weren’t tempted to eat out.
We timed a Netflix free trial subscription to our spring break and enjoyed a couple of great movies with the kids when the weather turned bad. I think we are going to keep the membership though because we cut our channels back and it has been so nice to have something to look forward to in the evenings.
I asked Ethan what his favorite thing he did on his break was and he said it was a tie between going to the park, going to the zoo, going to the museum, and going to his cousin’s for a sleepover. I think that indicates that I was successful in creating some fun memories for him without breaking the bank.
We hope to share more of our thrifty experiences with you when making our summer vacation plans! After all, who says you need to spend a lot of money to have a great time?