Can you tell that I give my bread machine a workout? Today I wanted to share this amazing recipe for making your own hamburger buns. Sometimes frugality comes from necessity, and this was one of those times. The snow was coming down and Emily needed a nap desperately. I thought I had hamburger rolls in the freezer, but my trip to the freezer turned up empty. There was no way I was taking a tired toddler out in the brutal snowstorm for a package of buns.
I headed to my computer and remembered I had a recipe bookmarked to make my own rolls. This recipe not only can make your hamburger buns, but it can make hot dog buns too! I had high hopes for this recipe and it totally delivered.
The buns stayed soft for about three days after being made. I kept them in a food storage bag and they tasted great for several days.
Hot Dog/Hamburger Buns/Rolls/Cinnamon Buns Dough Cycle (Courtesy of Recipezaar)
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1/4-1/3 cup sugar (I use a 1/4 cup measure)
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1. Place all ingredients in order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
2. Select dough cycle and start machine.
3. I preheat my oven to 100°F and turn off.
4. When dough cycle is complete remove from machine and proceed.
5. I roll into a long log and cut into 12 pieces for hot dog buns or 9 pieces for large hamburger buns. For Hot Dog Buns, I roll out till they look like long skinny wieners. Hamburger Buns, I flatten with my palm till about the thickness of a pancake. They rise beautifully and look as nicely shaped as store bought ones. Put on parchment-lined baking sheet so sides are almost touching (Amy’s Note- I just put them on my pizza stone).
6. Cover with cloth and put in the warm oven for 45-60 minutes to rise.
7. When doubled remove from oven.
8. Turn oven to 400°F and when you put the buns in the oven, reduce temperature immediately to 375° and bake hot dog buns 15 minutes and hamburger buns 17 minutes. (Amy’s Note- I checked around 12 minutes and they were golden)
9. CINNAMON BUNS. Use 1/3 cup sugar in recipe. Made 10 large buns.
10. Roll out to about 12 x 15″ and spread with butter or margarine. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over all and roll up tightly. Cut into as many buns as you want. I make 10.
11. Set oven to 400° and turn down to 375° when you put buns inches Bake 20 minutes. (Amy’s Note: These take more like 12 minutes)